Thursday, March 4, 2010

Drinking

I am a fun-loving person. I always look on the bright side and try to be encouraging. People know me as being crazy and spontaneous, so why would I need to drink? I enjoy living life and making the most of every moment I’m given, so why would I want to forget some of them? I am a Christian and therefore agree with the Bible’s “do not be drunk on wine” (Ephesians 5:18), but I am not completely against social drinking. However, being a Christian, I must also “obey my leaders and submit to their authority” (Hebrews 13:17), and seeing how our government says that no one under the age of 21 can legally consume alcohol, I refrain. I have never imposed my personal beliefs on my friends and therefore often became the DD. Recently I had a discussion with my friend Kristina and have re-evaluated my stance. Although I was not drinking, I was condoning their behavior by driving them. I said and still believe that going to that party and not drinking did impact some of my friends, but could God not also influence them if I refrained from going altogether. My friends still love me. I can still have meaningful conversations, even about God, and not compromise my values. One of my friends even introduces me as her “Christian friend with whom she always has in depth discussions.” Monica is an atheist, and I love her along with our in depth discussions, but what I love more is how she knows me. Matthew 12:33 states that “a tree is known by its fruit,” and I thank God that I am known by mine.

May I continue to decrease and Christ increase in me. – John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment