Monday, March 8, 2010

Connecting the Dots

So this last week God has been showing me pieces. Today I will try and put them together the best I can, but He is still just revealing them to me one step at a time. A little over a week ago I wrote about my complacency, but how “I am ready to see God heal, I am ready to see God save, I am ready to see God move like we have never seen before.” The next few posts changed pace as I talked about Drinking and Silence, and I began to wonder who I am in Christ and if people knew me that way.

I am a Christian, one who God is revealing his plan and purpose for my life one step at time. For as long as I can remember I have had the desire to be a nurse. Whether helping stitch up a car crash victim, helping a little boy with a broken arm, or being there for the family of a dying cancer patient. Well, God is affirming that in my life. A couple months ago, Monica asked me to pray for her grandfather, Wallie, so I did. He is still alive. Then we recently prayed for Kristina’s friend’s mom with cancer, and she is still alive. Even closer to home is my friend Liz’s sister, Emily. She is 14 and diagnosed with William’s disease. This disease is hereditary and the onset is so sudden that she was bumped to the top of the transplant list at Duke because without this liver she would only live about three days. Friends and family came together praying for her, and suddenly news came that they had a liver. My heart sank. Suddenly the nurse in me realized that by asking God to save our friend we had asked him to give us a liver, meaning to take someone else’s life. How could I do that? While I struggled with this realization I went to visit my friends, Bekah and Loral. Ironically, I was already going to see them about some questions I had about healing when I got the phone call about Emily. When we got there we started talking, and I shared with them my struggles. They said they would pray for me, and then proceeded to do so. This was a change. So many Christians say they will pray for you, but how many of them, including myself, take the time to lay hands on you right then and pray for you. While they prayed, thought after thought ran through my head: Wallie, Kristina’s friend, our friend Peter who was going to California to be prayed over for healing, and EMILY. Why couldn’t I pray believing God would heal? I as thought about it, Bekah prayed it, asking God to use my hands to heal, not only physically as a nurse, but emotionally and spiritually. I have asked God to take me outside my comfort zone, and He definitely has. As Christians, we are part of the body of Christ: we are his hands and his feet.

God bring people into my life, help me be an encouragement to them, and not be afraid to share the hope of the Gospel that I have heard. Colossians 1:21-23

No comments:

Post a Comment